LifeLock Junior™ is the newest membership plan designed especially to protect your child from identity theft. Child identity theft is one of the easiest crimes thieves can commit. Every child is vulnerable.
Your child gets a social security number before turning a year old. When a thief gets the information, a child is especially at risk because it’s used more frequently than an adult’s. After all, what’s more perfect than a credit file that no one ever thinks to check?
The pristine credit file of a minor is a true gold mine for an id thief. According to LifeLock CEO, Todd Davis, “This type of activity can go undetected for years and have disastrous effects once uncovered.” Wireless phone accounts and credit cards are the most common forms of misuse.
With your child’s identity information, a thief can:
- Take out loans
- Apply for credit cards
- Turn on utilities
- Rent a house or apartment
- Get a job
- Get a payday loan
- Buy a house, a car, boat, motor home
- Get a wireless phone plan
It’s not normal for parents to check on a child’s credit information because we know our child hasn’t applied for anything from the list above! But the moment your baby gets a social security number, they instantly become vulnerable.
For this reason, LifeLock created a Junior plan to protect your kids from identity theft.
- Credit File Verification
- Any credit information in your child’s name can be a sign of identity theft. LifeLock will monitor your child’s SSN for any credit files being opened.
- Identity Theft Detection and Alerts†
- Active monitoring for applications with your child’s personal data in an extensive network. You get alerts if suspicious activity is detected.
- Black Market Website Surveillance
- LifeLock patrols over 10,000 criminal websites where identity thieves all over the world illegally buy, sell and trade personal information. You will get notified if your child’s SSN and associated info is found.
- File-Sharing Network Searches
- Peer-to-peer sharing is common with kids (and adults!) for sharing music, photos and more. If your child’s info is found, you’ll be alerted.
- $1 Million Total Service Guarantee‡
- LifeLock is well-known for this service. They will spend up to a million dollars to hire experts to help your child’s recovery if their identity is stolen while being a member.
- 24/7/365 Member Service
- Any time you have a question or concern, you can get answers by signing in to your secure member portal at LifeLock.com, email Member.Services@LifeLock.com or call 1-800-LifeLock (543-3562).
How Much Does It Cost?
Per child under the age of 18:
- $5.99 monthly or $5.39 – 10% off when using promo code
- $65.99 yearly or $59.39 - 10% off when using promo code
On your child’s 18th birthday, (s)he will automatically be upgraded to the LifeLock basic core identity plan.
How to Enroll
You can easily add your child(ren) to your membership by logging into your member dashboard. Click on the “Manage Account” tab and follow the directions. If you prefer, you can also do it by phone – 1-800-LifeLock.
The Junior plan is an add-on to a parent’s plan. If you are already a member you can simply login and add your kids. If you’re not a member already, go ahead and enroll in either the Basic or Ultimate plans, then add your child.
Why Trust LifeLock?
LifeLock has been protecting identities since 2005. The technology they use is proactive rather than reactive. Reactive solutions are often too late, informing consumers that there is an identity theft issue after meaningful damage has already happened.
As of April 2013, there are 2.6 million members enrolled with a 87.2% retention rate. Because members vote with their wallets, that’s a large degree of confidence from existing members.
The company was also named as one of the three finalists for the Better Business Bureau Ethics Award. This award was established by the Better Business Bureau of Greater Arizona.
Get LifeLock Junior now to protect your kids!
LifeLock for Minors
You can still add your child to your LifeLock membership for $2.25 a month when you use the promo code TEN30. The child plan currently has different and less coverage than the new Jr. plan. It has to be as an add-on to a parent’s plan.
At this time, LifeLock does not offer family plans. Each person wanting coverage will need to enroll separately. The $1 Million Total Service Guarantee covers each person individually.
†Network does not cover all transactions and scope may vary.
‡The benefits under the Service Guarantee are provided under a Master Insurance Policy underwritten by State National
Insurance Company. Under the Service Guarantee LifeLock will spend up to $1 million to hire experts to help your recovery.